Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Antenna interaction question

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:06:56 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

I'm told that the other receiver does pick up signals from other
transmitters using simple omni directional antennas in the same
general area as ours. The fire dept will not let us tamper with their
equipment so confirming a weak front end is not possible. Its an
almost impossible situation.

How does this prevent you from taking a photograph of the antenna
structure in order to answer my questions? Yes, the fire department
will not let you touch the hardware. However, you can identify the
probable cause by substitution (i.e. scanner and 3rd antenna) which
will surely attract the attention of their radio service contractor or
department.

While I might be able to place a scanner
down in the FD office and try to hear the signal, however it won't be
off the suspect receiving antenna.

That's fine. You can then say. It works with my equipment. It
doesn't work with your equipment. Your equipment is broken.

And even if I can hear a signal if
it doesn't come in on their receiver, it still is not going to make
them happy.

This is a technical newsgroup, not a political. We can identify and
solve technical problems. However, if you have a credibility problem
with the fire department, I suggest you obtain the assistance of
either a technically qualified communications engineer or tech. If
that is insufficient to make the fire department "happy", perhaps a
local politician might inspire cooperation.

We may have to get the receiver contractor involved.

Hint: The more people involved in YOUR problem, the more complicated
it will become. Find one person in your area that is familiar with
the equipment and let them do the necessary testing. If you call out
the troops, there will be plenty of activity and noise, but little
useful in the way of a solution.

But
who's going to pay for that?

You are. It's *YOUR* problem. As far as the fire department is
concerned, at this time, they're equipment works just fine. They can
also demonstrate it with tests from other users.

How do I get these jobs anyway? Lenny

Karma failure. Good deeds often help.

--
Jeff Liebermann