Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning an Antique

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:54:07 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

Someone recently told me a formula for cleaning antiques (the finish
in good shape, but needed good cleaning) is equal parts mineral
spirits, linsed oil, turpentine and water. Applied with steel wool and
gently rubbed onto the piece. I was not informed that this is good for
all appications, though it seemed to be implied that it was.

I've never heard of this formula and I sense this formula's chemistry
is questionable. It wouldn't be expensive or difficult to test it, but
I'm not confident this mixture will properly clean a dirty or
moderately dirty antique.

I already have good cleaning techniques, but I'm always willing to
learn a new one. This one may be better for certain applications, than
the one(s) I use.

Opinions, comments?

Sonny

Do you watch the Antique Road Show? I saw a piece of furniture
valued at $18,000, but if the owner had not destroyed the original
patina by cleaning the value would be doubled. Water-based products
are best avoided on any wood. If you want to be safe, take it to a
professional. Not knowing about the finish is another concern and by
trying different products and methods you will certainly do some
damage.