Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Preliminary "test bar" lathe measurements.

What I was wondering about was tracking a tailsock surface with the DTI
secured to the carriage.. longitudinal travel of the carriage, but kinda
limited to one side of the carriage at a time, and only if the tailstock
ways are in nearly perfect condition.

Then again, I don't know if this check would reveal anything significant,
just pondering.

--
WB
metalworking projects

On 2010-01-29, Wild_Bill wrote:
Shouldn't the testing also include running the DTI along the top or
bottom
of the test bar?

Good idea

And how about running the DTI along a precision tailstock surface, not
associated with the carriage travel?

You mean, keep carriage in place and move the tailstock?