Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car starter motor.

In article . com,
Jules wrote:
I've stuck my DC clamp meter (not the most accurate of devices) and
looked at the cranking current on a cold day. It's saying 550 amps -
close to the battery max - and it's turning over slower than I
remember. So I'm guessing at a shorted turn somewhere through
overheating. Have had this before.

Are you certain it's not the battery or wiring issue? Any minor problems
can really mess with starting even if there are no signs of trouble when
things are running. I realise you've probably looked into it already, but
it doesn't hurt to ask - changing the starter is expensive faff if it
turns out to not solve the problem (or mask the real one)

Yes - I've cleaned and checked all the connections including the grounds.
The high current suggests a shorted turn somewhere in the motor due to
overheating. Remember we're talking Lucas here. ;-)

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.