Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default paint peels over wood putty fix

On Jan 28, 12:20*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"internaughtfull" wrote in message

Hi,

I had some work done on a wooden porch and some dry rot
was replaced with durham's wood putty. It dried for one day then
was painted with valspar ultra latex. It gets wet and peels.

I repainted it and covered it with plastic to allow for drying but
it still peels.

Can I just scrape this and seal it with polyurethane then use
something like Kilz on it? It is a satin white and a small area
so perfect color matching is not that important. Or does the
peeling indicate something else.

thx,

itchy

The poly or an oil based primer might work if you get it 100% dry first.
That wood putty tends to attract moisture hence the peeling paint.

Bondo would be a better repair material for next time as it does not absorb
moisture.

????

Bondo absorbs moisture like a mother, even on a car it is a poor
repair material unless sealed completely.

nate