Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car starter motor.

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Any advice?

Get the mini motor (I had one on my Rangie). They work, they're often
a hell of a lot easier to fit to a big '80s lump as starters of that
period had grown huge and unwieldy. Just saving an hour's spanner work
can make it worthwhile (Volvo 960!)

Yes - it's not an easy job on the SD1 either. So just being so much
lighter will help.

Land Rover may carry them as cheap spares on a straight exhange. Many
of these old motors aren't refurbed for exchange any more, they give
you a geared mini style instead. Work enquiring, if you have a
friendly spares duffer.

Sadly the SD1 uses a different design - the solenoid is in a different
place to clear the exhaust.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW