Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Car starter motor.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Many Jap cars use a Denso starter which uses a smaller but faster
motor and reduction gearing. Said to use a lot less current and
produce more torque. And I can buy one with a specially made mounting
for my engine. For more than an exchange Lucas one - but not so much
as to be out of the question.

I don't understand that - it appears to defy the laws of physics! So the
motor itself runs at higher speed and lower torque - working through
reduction gearing - but the engine needs a certain amount of *power* to
crank it - based on the product of cranking torque and cranking speed. The
starter motor has to produce that power , so - unless it's dramatically more
efficient - it's wattage will be the same as the original Lucas motor. Since
watts = volts x amps, and you can't do much about the voltage, then surely
the current is going to be the same?
--
Cheers,
Roger