Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fast and accurate way to cut plasterboard to match patress boxes - how do *you* do it?

In article
,
wrote:
Fast and accurate way to cut plasterboard to match patress boxes - how
do *you* do it?

Is there a definitive method?

Tried a plasterboard saw (slow, not terribly accurate)

Tried a Fein multimaster with a tatty old blade in it (fast, can be
accurate, but too easy to overcut)

With care and patience, any method will be no problem - but I have a
lot of them to do, so it's worthwhile to find the *best* way.

I'd prefer to fix the patress boxes on the studs first, measure the
loose board with reasonable accuracy, take out a core in the board, in
approximately the right place with a holesaw, pull the cables through
the hole, fix the board, then trim the plasterboard to match the
patress box.

However, I could leave the cables loose, fix the board, cut the holes
for the patress boxes (using a template), pull the cables through,
then fix the patress boxes through the holes.

What works best?

Cutting plasterboard to a pencil line with an ordinary hand padsaw surely
isn't a problem? It doesn't have to be mm accurate as the fitting overlaps
the cut.

If you are in a hurry, dry lining backing boxes are the easiest type to
use - but I personally don't like them since they show behind the fitting
- and look very untidy with some of the newer 'flat plate' metal fittings
which stand proud of the wall with them. If you have a stud or whatever
behind to fix a metal box to then that makes a neater job. What I do if
there's nothing to fix to behind - but it's rather time consuming - is to
fix a couple of battens to the back of the plasterboard either side of the
metal box and screw into them. You can either glue and clamp them in place
until the glue sets or screw through the plasterboard with plasterboard
screws and fill the heads. Depending on make, some metal boxes may need
additional holes drilled for fixing screws. This method gives an extremely
rigid and neat fixing.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.