Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
The Phantom The Phantom is offline

Default Rigol scope performance

I recently had the opportunity to put a Rigol DS1204B to the test.

I'm not going to do a review now, but rather I'll show some technical
measurements.

I measured the frequency response with a 750 MHz sweep. The input signal was
applied with a short length of 50 ohm coax, with a 50 ohm feed through
termination at the input BNC connector; the scope probe was not used.

I've also shown the response of an Agilent DSO5034 scope for comparison.

The Rigol is a 200 MHz, 4 channel digital scope. The attached image shows the
frequency response with a linear vertical characteristic. It's just the
envelope of the sweep, at 100 MHz per horizontal major division.

It can be seen that the scope might well be called a 300 MHz scope. The
response appears to be 3dB down around 330 MHz.

I set the scope to display the frequency of an applied single frequency sine
wave. The scope was able to synchronize to, and measure the frequency, up to a
limit of about 520 MHz.

I tested the rise time with an Agilent 10073C 500 MHz probe, and with an 800 pS
rise time test pulse, the scope plus probe had about a 1.25 nS rise time. To
make this measurement, the plastic spring loaded tip hook was removed and the
pulse applied directly to the tip and ground sheath.

I've attached an image showing the Agilent DSO5034 frequency response, with the
same 100 MHz per horizontal major division. This scope is 3 dB down around 400
MHz.

The power consumption of the Rigol is about 25 watts.

Attached Thumbnails
Rigol scope performance-dso_5034-png
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Rigol DS1204B.bmp (225.1 KB, 145 views)