Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Work in progress - Ironwood bowl

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:51:59 -0500, Upscale wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:35:09 -0800, mac davis

It's actually a scrap that I decided to practice on, Dave..
I really didn't think that this cracked, irregular shaped piece would hold
together on the lathe..

Can I assume then, that you might do much of lathe work behind some
kind of shield?

I've been hit in the chest once by a kickback from a tablesaw. I can
only imagine what it would be like to be hit by some projectile flying
off a reasonably fast spinning block of wood.

Nope, just safety glasses and keeping out of the throw zone..
I get several pieces a week that chip of fall off, most just drop onto the lathe
bed, some bounce to the rear.. never had anything come at me..

Most fragments will fall below where the tool is touching them, and rotation
carries them to the rear of the piece.. It keeps the shop cats busy chasing
them, though.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing