Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why aren't refrigerators & freezers designed to benefit from outside cold air?

I have always wondered about this one...
Refrigerators are one of the top energy consumers in

homes.
In Northern climates, the outside temperature is colder

than indoor
temperature at least 6 months of the year.

Why aren't they designed with "heat" exchangers to benefit

from cool if
not frigid external air?

CY: It does make sense, to me. It would be possible to put
the refrig backed up to external wall. Some kind of gasket
around the exterior of the fridge. Draw outdoor air for the
condensor. Winter time, that would provide better cooling.
Summer, to dump the heat outdoors. Window AC do that. Why
not refrigerators?

Even in warm climates (or summers) why isn't the same

principle used to
vent the warm air from the compressor & coils outside

rather than

Presumably this could all be done by putting the

evaporator coils
outside which would in turn decrease (or eliminate if cold

enough) the
draw on the compressor during winter months.

CY: I suspect you mean condensor coils, but I know what you
mean.

Of course, installation might be a little more expensive,

but with all
the focus on green-this and green-that why isn't this

being done?

CY: Coordination between fridge makers, and home builders,
comes to mind.