Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default How much a clothes dryer cost to use? Again ......

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:

On Jan 28, 11:44 am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

-snip-
A much much bigger factor:
How corrupt is a state's legislature?
Given the corruption factor in NY, I spose 30c/kWhr (what it winds up really
being, not the bull**** 9c) is still a bargain.
--
EA

Please post us a link to the utility in NY where electricity costs 30C
a kwh for any typical amount of residential usage. I've seen many
tables showing electricity costs, highs, lows, etc and have never seen
anywhere that it costs 30c.

30cents wouldn't surprise me for ConEd, LIPA or Central Hudson. The
average is supposedly 19cents;
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...able5_6_a.html

I'm served by National Grid- one of the bigger upstate suppliers- and
usually on the low end. They have on the bill that they are selling
me electricity for 6.8cents. But when I divide the bill by the KWH,
I find I'm paying over 15cents. LIPA and ConEd both advertise over
20 cents & they both have higher taxes than upstate- so 30cents is
real easy to believe.

But I think California and Hawaii are higher.

It also all depends on what particular rate is being spoken of --
depending on locale and what particular rules are for the various
state/local commissions, there's generally an approved "base rate" but
when the fuel adjustment and so on are included the actual end-user cost
is generally higher (sometimes significantly so). It can even vary
within the state from utility to utility based on specifics of a
generation mix, construction costs for needed expansion or to meet
mandated generation mix requirements, or pollution abatement edicts,
etc., etc., etc., ... IOW, despite wishes to the contrary there still
is no free lunch.