Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Darkening cherry bowls

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
In article , Bob Daun
wrote:

Do not really want to prolong this thread too far but I have
another question to throw out. What about turning immature black walnut.
It has a lot of grain but not the typical walnut color. Is there a way to
treat a bowl turned with immature walnut to convert it to the typical Brown
color. I tried ammonia but it didn't seem to have any effect.

I remember reading that this is done commercially to stretch out the
amount of marketable Black Walnut.

Someone will doubtless jump in here with the relevant details, but if I
recall correctly, it involved heating in water [?] to dissolve some of
the colored substances from the heart and deposit same on the lighter
sapwood...

It's probably more complicated than that :-)

I remember reading about walnut color in rec.woodworking about 10 years
ago. Apparently some walnut trees never develop the wonderful brown
colors - they're just a dingy gray all the way through. My
understanding is that the heartwood darkens as the result of extractives
in the soil as well as other factors.

A fellow posting to the thread in r.w mentioned that walnut trees will
put out 'suckers' - roots that spring up into trees. He said these
always are gray and never get dark. Trees that grow from walnuts do.
No idea if he was right or just blowing smoke. I do recall that
lumberyards will steam or boil the wood - probably steam it - to get
more uniform color. IIRC, Hoadly says the same thing in 'Understanding
Wood'...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller