Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Gluing plywood to base cabinet side

On Jan 27, 10:18*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:39*pm, "

wrote:
I have a sink base kitchen cabinet going in the basement. *I have cut
up some 1/4" thick plywood to put on the sides and toekick. *Its
particleboard from the factory. *Problem is how to glue it to the
cabinet. *Festool rail guided circular saw worked wonders cutting the
plywood.

Option 1: *Use yellow woodworking glue. *Problem is getting pressure
on the plywood. *Sink base sides are 34" x 23". *Sink base is 5 feet
wide. *So I do not have long enough clamps to use cauls. *I've thought
about putting bags of cat litter on top of the plywood to weight it
down. *200 pounds or so. *Not sure it will be enough pounds per square
inch of pressure. *The plywood is also not perfectly flat. *It has
some waves and twists and bows in it.

Option 2. *Contact adhesive. *I think it will work with plywood as
well as it does with plastic laminate.

Contact is a good choice. Get a cheap roller, do both sides, after it
is dry to the touch, use some sticks to suspend the panel over the
cabinet side, and remove those sticks one at the time. Then use a 6 x
6 inch slab of something as a pressure pad and hit it with a dead-blow
all over the surface.

Oh, and did I detect some drive-by suction, eh, Festool boy?

I gotta admit it was a pleasure using the Festool saw and 5 foot or so
rail to cut up the plywood. It was just so accurate and easy to make
the cuts. Trimming just a 1/16" or so off to make the plywood fit
better was just so easy. Table saw would have worked too. Still have
not used the Festool tools enough to justify the cost but maybe
someday.

I'll stop by Home Depot on the way home from work tomorrow evening and
pick up a quart of contact adhesive. I use cardboard to keep the two
pieces coated with adhesive apart. Then just slide out the cardboard
an inch or so at a time and push the pieces together to stick the
adhesive. Works better than a bunch of sticks to keep the parts
separated.