Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Gluing plywood to base cabinet side

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:39:16 -0800 (PST), the infamous
" scrawled the
following:

I have a sink base kitchen cabinet going in the basement. I have cut
up some 1/4" thick plywood to put on the sides and toekick. Its
particleboard from the factory. Problem is how to glue it to the
cabinet. Festool rail guided circular saw worked wonders cutting the
plywood.

Option 1: Use yellow woodworking glue. Problem is getting pressure
on the plywood. Sink base sides are 34" x 23". Sink base is 5 feet
wide. So I do not have long enough clamps to use cauls. I've thought
about putting bags of cat litter on top of the plywood to weight it
down. 200 pounds or so. Not sure it will be enough pounds per square
inch of pressure. The plywood is also not perfectly flat. It has
some waves and twists and bows in it.

Option 2. Contact adhesive. I think it will work with plywood as
well as it does with plastic laminate.

Option 2 is how I'd stick it. It's less fun than construction adhesive
but it flattens the thin stuff better.

Here's how I'd do that for myself:

1) Cut the sheet oversize for later triming with a router.

2) Prefinish the one side to diminish errant glue spots during the
next step.

3) Coat both sides with adhesive, let it sit 5-15 minutes or so,
depending on the type and mfgr's instructions (I prefer solvent type,
but it's getting harder to find,)

4) Stick it in place, carefully, and set with a 2x4 and a rubber
mallet, smackin' it all over the place.

5) Trim with a router and finish cutting the ends with my ryoba or
azebiki (if it's in place and there are walls nearby.)

6) File sawn ends smooth.

got it all down flat.

8) Sand and smooth with 320 grit (150 or 220 for paint).

9) Install final (or 3 handrubbed) coat(s) of finish.

10) Now take a picture.

--
It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from
his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self.