Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave[_45_] Dave[_45_] is offline

Default CH Inhibitor - how much, when and where?

Toby wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
I'm doing lots of overtime at work but also trying to redecorate the
whole house in my spare time. Over the last two weeks I've had three
radiators off the walls to paper behind them, so that's three
'radiators-worth' of water I've lost out of the system and needed to
replace over that period of time.

I'll not get any decorating done for the next seven days but then
I'll be taking another rad off for a couple of days. I suppose, to
cut the story short, I'll be losing nine rads-worth of water and
replacing it again over a period of about three months in total,
maybe slightly longer. What should I do about inhibitor? When should I
add it into the
system? How much should I add in, and where? I've got a couple of
5ml syringes that I could use to squirt the inhibitor into the rads
through the hole where the bleed valve goes after reconnecting them
and before refilling them - would this be OK?

TIA
Dave

When I have to get behind my radiators, I generally don't take the
radiator off, so this method may help you...

Turn of the valves (Count the turns on the lock shield and write it
down somewhere!)
Open the bleed screw to relese any pressure, but then close the bleed
screw (you shouldn't get very much water out, if any).
put old towels around the valves and then undo the nuts about half a
turn. lift the radiator off the wall brachet and then hinge it down
so the top is now on the floor.
Do up the nuts.
Write the turns on the lock shield on the back of the radiator, so
you can't lose it :-)

Water loss is very minimal.

You need to have some slack in the pipes that feed the radiator, and
also you do end up with the radiator sticking out, but it is trivial
to hook it back on again later.

Hope this helps.

Toby...

Thanks Toby, that's a great idea :-)