Posted to uk.d-i-y
Allan Mac Allan Mac is offline

Default Fast and accurate way to cut plasterboard to match patress boxes- how do *you* do it?

On 28 Jan, 15:20, " wrote:
Fast and accurate way to cut plasterboard to match patress boxes - how
do *you* do it?

Is there a definitive method?

Tried a plasterboard saw (slow, not terribly accurate)

Tried a Fein multimaster with a tatty old blade in it (fast, can be
accurate, but too easy to overcut)

With care and patience, any method will be no problem - but I have a
lot of them to do, so it's worthwhile to find the *best* way.

I'd prefer to fix the patress boxes on the studs first, measure the
loose board with reasonable accuracy, take out a core in the board, in
approximately the right place with a holesaw, pull the cables through
the hole, fix the board, then trim the plasterboard to match the
patress box.

However, I could leave the cables loose, fix the board, cut the holes
for the patress boxes (using a template), pull the cables through,
then fix the patress boxes through the holes.

What works best?

Save yourself a lot of hassle and use fastfix boxes. Contrary to
roumer in some quarters they do not rip out of the wall. Appleby are
the best, avoid cheap ones from diy sheds. Get the joiners to bring
the cables through the board at the correct height.(some are incapable
of doing this!) Cut the backside out of one box to use as a template,
offer up box with short sprit level draw around with pencil, cut out
hole with plasterboard saw. Some saws have quite a thick blade which
can make a rough edge, CK I find the best nice thin sharp blade,
makes a nice clean cut. Use some scrap plasterboard to practice
cutting holes.
Allan