Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Weston John Weston is offline

Default Fast and accurate way to cut plasterboard to match patress boxes - how do *you* do it?

In article f52cb339-931c-4a51-831a-38b82e1429f1
@e25g2000yqh.googlegroups.com, " wrote:

Fast and accurate way to cut plasterboard to match patress boxes - how
do *you* do it?

Is there a definitive method?

Tried a plasterboard saw (slow, not terribly accurate)

Tried a Fein multimaster with a tatty old blade in it (fast, can be
accurate, but too easy to overcut)

With care and patience, any method will be no problem - but I have a
lot of them to do, so it's worthwhile to find the *best* way.

I'd prefer to fix the patress boxes on the studs first, measure the
loose board with reasonable accuracy, take out a core in the board, in
approximately the right place with a holesaw, pull the cables through
the hole, fix the board, then trim the plasterboard to match the
patress box.

However, I could leave the cables loose, fix the board, cut the holes
for the patress boxes (using a template), pull the cables through,
then fix the patress boxes through the holes.

What works best?

To install several Cat5e cable sockets, in a house with plasterboard
walls, I've used the Bosch equivalent to the Fein (with a good plunge
cut blade that, OK, is now tatty :-) ). I put tape around the blade as a
depth marker and was able to cut the plasterboard without cutting the
damp proofing membrane on the insulation in the cavity behind. I was
able to extract the rectangular cut-outs, with no over-cutting in the
corners beyond the lip of the front-inserted plasterboard-wall back box.

Neatest job I've done on a wall for some time... :-)
--
John W
I you want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice