Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magic Jack........again

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:57:50 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

RobertPatrick wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:32:18 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Metspitzer wrote the following:
A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house
phone if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I
can't have missing incoming calls.

I have a Magic Jack. I got it because my wife is on the house phone
almost all morning with relatives and friends, and my cell phone
does not work well in the basement where I have my office and
computer. My main use is to call my bank, credit card companies, and
other businesses for support or information.. I don't receive calls
on it and no one knows my MJ number.
So far, it works as well as a regular phone.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Belt clip.

Cordless/cell phones for home use are a solution in search of a problem.
I'll never give up my copper local loop. I don't wander around when I
talk. Real WE corded phones are getting hard to find, but I have enough
to last as long as I will. And they will always work, even if the power
is out for a week, the cell towers blow down, and the roof caves in.

As long as the wires are not down.

In some areas the phones go down often, and sometimes for days on end,
due to ice storms. Then a cell phone is definitely handy.

I don't like having all my communications tied to one supplier, or one
technology.

I have my phone on copper from Bell Canada, and my internet on cable
from Rogers, along with my cell phone from Rogers. They want my home
phone business (on the cable), but I've told them numerous times-
"NEVER". Bell wants my internet business and they get the same answer.

Around here, anyway, the cable internet from Rogers is VERY
dependable, while ADSL from Bell is spotty. Bell's phone service is
virtually solid - while Rogers Home Phone has the VOIP type echo on
occaision.

And Rogers is the only major carrier in our area with GSM cell
coverage. - so Bell won't get that business from me either.

I have a MajicJack that I picked up figuring on using it for American
long distance calls - but then Rogers gave me a long distance plan I
couldn't turn down on my land-line. 5 cents a minute anywhere in North
America to a maximum of 5 bucks a month - and no minimum.

I've likely used the MJ about 10 times. It worked OK, but not
superfantastic. Thought I'd send it with my daughter if she went
overseas again so we could call her at an american phone number
anywhere she had high speed internet, and she could call anywhere in
Canada or the USA toll free from Kigali or Livingstone or where-ever.

She's still home.