Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Magic Jack........again

On 1/27/2010 14:45, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 27, 1:56 pm, wrote:
On 1/27/2010 13:07, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Jan 27, 9:53 am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:27:57 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

MJ quality depends on your broadband connection and the state of your
PC. If your PC is sluggish from a lot of background tasks and
processes and you don't have at least 1.5 mbps DSL you can get
anomalies in the quality and function of MJ.

I have vonage it it is pretty reliable. It has a devicethat connects
directly to your ethernet so the computers don't matter. Seems to me
for not much more mj could sell a device with an ethernet connection
instead of a usb one. But they don't so far.

They don't because from what I understand their business model was
supposed to be ad driven so the idea being you would need to watch an ad
before you could use it. The only way to do that is to require you to
use it with a computer. There isn't anything "magic" about magicjack.
They use a modified enough to require their proprietary software version
of SIP. Standard SIP is what other VoIP carriers use.- Hide quoted text -

How do you "watch" an ad before using your phone? Doesn't seem
practical. What would inbound callers get, a message saying please
wait while the party you are trying to reach goes to his computer and
watches an ad, haha.

Before you make a call. Thats the expensive part for the provider.