Posted to rec.woodworking
jodleren jodleren is offline

Default Hinge measurements

Hi all

When using door hinges, where the door goes on front (such as in a
kitchen), what are the measurements then?

I use standard hinges, with Ø35 mm for the hole, such as this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Topfscharnier.jpg

[btw what is the right word in English... and German if anyone knows?]

Anyway, the holes for the screws should be 40 mm in the "wall" or
side, but the large Ø35 mm hole should be how far in?
I tried to measure it, and found that 24 mm (or 25 = 1 in) should be
good - but it also depends on the type of wood. Right now I work in
melamin/laminate with a thickness of 16 mm, before I used "glued
plates" with a thinkness of 18 mm.

WBR
Sonnich