Posted to rec.woodworking
LDosser LDosser is offline

Default Frost your nuts?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 00:19:07 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

How many nuke accidents which released radiation and killed people
have happened in the thousands of nuke years (yes, that many have been
around that long) that we've had power plants? ONE.

Number of deaths from the worst nuke accident in history: 56.

Compare to approximately two orders of magnitude more deaths _per year_
in
coal mining accidents (worldwide)...

From the Wiki on Chernobyl:
"56 direct deaths. 800,000 (est) suffered radiation exposure, which
may result in as many as 4,000 cancer deaths over the lifetime of
those exposed, in addition to the approximately 100,000 fatal cancers
to be expected from all other causes in this population.[1]"

Disingenuous, at best. There were up to 500,000 people resettled and
likely
millions of domestic animals killed.

Granted, the Chernobyl (pure negligence on a faulty design) accident
was a disaster, but look at the billions of dollars of damage from
coal-fired acid rain. Look at the amount of toxic waste from the coal
furnaces (some not even ours, imported to the USA in Chinese drywall.)
Chernobyl was a one-time happening while the disaster that it coal is
continuing to this day. Why aren't the Chicken Littles of the world
doing more about that? Have you read about the unstoppable
underground coal mine fires? Talk about a nasty carbon footprint...

Something has been done about acid rain and many other varieties of
pollution. It's been done and continues to be done right here in the US.
We're not perfect, but we're a hell of a lot closer than those who could
have followed our example.