Posted to uk.d-i-y
Usenet Nutter Usenet Nutter is offline

Default CH Inhibitor - how much, when and where?

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:31:12 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
Dave wrote:

I suppose, to cut the story
short, I'll be losing nine rads-worth of water and replacing it
again over a period of about three months in total, maybe slightly
longer.

What should I do about inhibitor? When should I add it into the
system? How much should I add in, and where? I've got a couple of
5ml syringes that I could use to squirt the inhibitor into the rads
through the hole where the bleed valve goes after reconnecting them
and before refilling them - would this be OK?

If it were me, I'd leave it until the 2 weeks before the last rad was
meant to come off, then put a dose of system cleaner in.
When you take off the rad, flush the system out.
Refit rad, then put inhibitor in.
If you only have tiny bleed screw inlets to the rad,then a 50ml
syringe will work fine, I've done it a few times, takes 10mins or so,
but does it without spilling any.
Alternatively, inhibitor is available in sealant tube type tubes, so
can be injected in with the usual sealant gun.
If you have a header tank, it could go in there if you are filling a
few rads at one time, though I tend to inject into a rad, as you know
it will get all around the sytem then. Put the last 50ml or so into
the header tank, then some of that solution should get into the feed
pipe going to the boiler when you bleed the rads.

Alan.

Thanks Alan and The Old Fellow, good ideas.

When my boiler was installed the fitter put a filling point in where
the flow pipe leaves the boiler ...Just remove the stop end and I have
a piece of 10mm pipe with a funnel attached to add inhibitor when
required .