Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Need advice on sealing glass to a homemade Solar Collector Box

On Jan 27, 2:00*pm, " wrote:
Im making my first Hot Water Solar Collector to go on the roof *and
will be using a 60' roll of 1/2" i.d. Copper Tubing in a 2x6" *wooden
box , with a Thermopane Window that comes in a vinyl enclosure frame
to sit on top of the box. *Im going to paint the wooden box , copper
tubing roll , and window enclosure frame *a flat black using special
high temp. paint intended for Solar Collectors . *I suspect the
temperature of the window enclosure frame is going to get *very very
hot in the summer , so, im wondering what sort of adhesive or
weatherstripping I should use to seal the window enclosure frame to
the wooden box that will hold up very well in extremely hot temps and
moisture ? * Thanks.

Since your box is made of 2x6's...water is going to get in. Consider
in oyur design & fab allowance for liquid water to escape AND water
vapor as well...otherwise you're going to get condensation on the
bottom side of the glass which will interfere with the solar
collection.

cheers
Bob