Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby James Waldby is offline

Default Hey Bruce, ring wiring

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:15:12 -0500, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:04:44 -0500, Wes wrote:
jk wrote:
That has NOTHING to do with loop circuits. From the point of view of
loosing the neutral, the two wires of the loop, look JUST the same as
the one of the radial system. There is no difference.

What the loop does do is provide a more even impedance to a given point
in the circuit. The impedance reaches a peak at 1/2 way round the
circuit, and then starts dropping again.

I scanned though my copy of the NEC and have not found the phrase that
makes ring wiring, staying in the normal rules for box fill, ampacity of
conductors, ect illegal.

Is threre something like a branch circuit must be fed from one end only
or something like that? I'm just trying to imagine the language.

300.3Conductors.
(B)

snip
310.4 Conductors in Parallel.

snip
I read that to mean you can run 1/0 and larger conductors in parallel if
they're run together. 12 ga romex daisy-chained around the perimeter of
a room with both ends tied to the breaker would be (1) too small and (2)
not "within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cabletray, cablebus
assembly, trench, cable, or cord."

I don't have my NEC book at hand so can't look it up at the moment,
but an electrician told me that each breaker can only have one wire
attached to it. That would preclude hooking both ends of a loop to
one breaker.

--
jiw