Frisket

Default New Electrical Regs - Again

"Huge" wrote in message
PoP writes:
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:48:09 +0100, derek
wrote:

I do £22k business miles per year, working from home, 3 other cars in
the household. The IR reckon those business miles cost about £7k/yr. I
believe it would be fair for me to pay tax on the actual cost of my
proportion of the cars use (using IR rates). I'm only home at weekends
and the car's full of kit so I use my wife's car, private use of the
firms car is minimal but say 1.5k miles/year, IE I pay tax on £7,300 *
1.5/23.5 =£465 But the revenue wanted me to pay tax and NI on £4,400.
Note the past tense BTW :-) Not to mention the scale charge for VAT on
private fuel which is not mitigated for low private mileages.

Not forgetting of course that ministers have their own allocated car
and driver on call at all times - without one penny being due in BIK.

I think shortly after Bliar came to power in 97 some bright spark came
up with the idea that ministers could save some money if they used
pool cars (and drivers) instead. Naturally that never saw the light of
day.

And all MPs are allowed huge allowances for all kinds of stuff that would
attract tax is it were you and I.

--

I do 25000 miles in my company van per year and pay £500 tax. I work from
home, NEVER use the van for personal use and think this situation is