Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Sliding T-bevel, marking guage

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 04:14:49 -0500, the infamous "Bill"
scrawled the following:

--snip--
In case anyone else is interested in this discussion, here is a link to a
fine YouTube video
on cutting a mortise and tenon joint by hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3jByNHeGxs

Yeah, that's pretty much it, but he got a bit careless in his haste
for the video. I wish he'd been more professional about it.

You have a good eye:

1) He cut down into the shoulders of the tenon piece several times as
he quickly hacked off the excess.

Should he have just been "more careful" to stop on the line?

3) And did you notice the gapers he left as he fit the tenon into the
mortise? At 5:44 into the film, the gap shown is roughly 3/16". The
mortise is longer than it should be, reducing the strength of the
joint.

Not only is it longer, but it looks wider too. Is this an error, or is
cutting it a little wide unavoidable?
At the beginning of the video he points out that the difference between a
good fit and a poor fit can be
measured in thousandths of an inch. Did he fail his test?

Bill

---
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
talking about global warming hysteria, January, 2007.