Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Upright wood bandsaw

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:53:07 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 25, 10:30*pm, Mike Spencer wrote:

Allegedly, it was a means making cuts much cleaner than a torch in
stock too hard for an ordinary band saw and which took too long to cut
with an abrasive cutoff.

Anybody ever see this in operation? *Or know that it's just a yarn?

--
Mike Spencer * * * * * * * * *Nova Scotia, Canada

With an industrial grade saw with lots of hp, you can cut just using
friction. No teeth necessary on the blade.

Friction sawing doesn't require all that much HP. I can do 1/8" SS on
my little 16" DoAll with only 3/4 HP, but the top speed of 1500 FPM is
a bigger limitation than the power. The 36" saw I used to have had a 2
or 3 HP motor and ran at around 6000 FPM. It cut 1/2" SS pretty well,
and 3/4" in a pinch. The big dedicated friction saws can run over
10,000 FPM.

--
Ned Simmons