Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Universal carbide bit?

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

I'm thinking of a drill that could drill holes in metal doorbucks that are
also lined with concrete.
Is there perhaps a way to sharpen/grind a masonry bit so that it could
also get through 16 ga steel, mebbe some wood?

Iny other ideas on drilling concrete-filled doorbucks?

I run into this fairly often in commercial buildings. Metal jamb, filled
with mortar, brick, steel plate, more brick. What a pain. Since I am
getting paid for it I just include the cost of a couple HSS bits in the job
for every door and they go in my dull bits pile which sometimes actually get
sharpened instead of tossed.

There was a company selling carbide tipped bits for cutting "everything" at
some of the home improvement and trade shows about 13-15 years ago. I
bought a set and they worked ok on steel in a drill press where I could put
a lot of pressure on them, but in a hand drill they were just about as
worthless as a masonry bit for drilling steel. I wish I still had that baby
drill press. It had a lot less wobble and runout than the floor model I
have now.