Posted to uk.d-i-y
Usenet Nutter Usenet Nutter is offline

Default domestic wiring paranoia

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:08:29 +0000, David J
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 04:36:42 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 27 Jan, 12:17, JJ wrote:

What do DIYers do?

I buy decent fittings. Well machined cable clamp screws give far fewer
problems than loose rattly ones.

I always used to 'tin' the ends of my DIY house wiring after stripping
it to the right length and before poking into a fitting. So often I
found that wiring by 'professionals' was merely making contact via a
few strands because of unravelling at the ends.

DJ

Would there be any advantage in having a small section of softish
metal tubing that you could slip over the end of the conductors which
would be crushed down when you tightened the screw ...or...something
you crimped over the end which would keep the strands all together .

I'm sure I have seen something similar on flex on items that I have
bought as well as some where the ends have been tinned