Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default domestic wiring paranoia

JJ wrote:

new ring all wired up and waiting connection to CU, which I will do
once I have performed standard tests on it.

my question is how do people deal with paranoia issues? for example..
I am always worried that the action of pushing the fitting back into
the pattress has found a weakness in my stripping, twisting, screwing
in and loosened a cable or something. My standard practice is to leave
it over night then unscrew the fitting and tug on the wires with
needle nosed pliers to check they are still all secure - its total
paranoia I realize, I should just trust my handiwork.

Failing that I should trust the RCBO to detect faults (as it did when
I trod a junction box in the loft and ended up rewiring my whole
upstairs light ring, only with no junction boxes).

What do sparkies do? they clearly don't have time to double check all
their work - do they push it into place on the pattress then pull it
out again and visually inspect? or do they never make errors?

What do DIYers do? do they worry about every little detail in their
work?

JJ

Make sure the screws are tight, and 'help' the cables to fold into place
neatly when replacing the faceplate. In particular, make sure that all
cables are well clear of the screws. Many years ago - when I was young and
foolish(!) - I managed to get a live wire in such a place that the screw cut
through the insulation when I did it up - resulting in a big bang and a
somewhat blackened fitting when I turned the mains on. With any luck, you
only do that *once*!
--
Cheers,
Roger