Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default domestic wiring paranoia

In article
,
JJ wrote:
my question is how do people deal with paranoia issues? for example..
I am always worried that the action of pushing the fitting back into
the pattress has found a weakness in my stripping, twisting, screwing
in and loosened a cable or something. My standard practice is to leave
it over night then unscrew the fitting and tug on the wires with
needle nosed pliers to check they are still all secure - its total
paranoia I realize, I should just trust my handiwork.

Tighten the screws *properly* using an ordinary screwdriver where the
blade and shaft is the same width as the screws. *Not* an 'electrician's'
type. I've never ever broken a screw doing this - but I've come across
plenty which haven't been tightened properly and have failed.
Cable won't come to any harm through being flexed back into position. Try
breaking a spare bit by flexing it back and forwards to see what I mean.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.