Posted to rec.woodworking
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Cleaning an Antique

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message

Generally antiques are not messed with much at all. Dusting and
light damp cloth touching up.

We had a person on the group that polished the ugly green bronze statue
in the estate he bought... destroyed the value.

Professionals buying would rather clean anything than yourself.

Martin

If I thought I had a valuable antique I wouldn't lay a finger on it beyond
gentle dusting. If I thought it needed some sort of restoration or
stabilizing I'd refer it to a professional after researching what that would
do to the value. I would think that watching just a couple of episodes of
Antiques Roadshow would get that message across.