Posted to alt.home.repair
WW[_2_] WW[_2_] is offline

Default Best way to apply Loctite 290

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
I have several pairs of rimless reading glasses similar to these:

http://tinyurl.com/ybbjy4z

There are 4 tiny bolts that hold the metal parts to the plastic
lenses. Invariably, one of the nuts works loose. I have been using
needlenose pliers to tighten the nuts, but they work loose.

Some time ago, someone here recommended Loctite 290 (green). I got a
bottle the other day, but am unsure how to use it.

The dispenser tip comes sealed, so I used a needle to poke a tiny hole
in the tip, but it still comes out in a large droplet that I am afraid
will completely drown the tiny bolt and damage the plastic.

I tried dispensing the Loctite with the bottle upright, but was unable
to get a tiny droplet to stay on the tip long enough to tough the nut.

Next, I put a couple of drops on a lid and used a toothpick to
transfer a tiny amount to the nut. I was able to get the top of the
nut to turn green, but I'm not sure I got enough on it to actually
penetrate.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is a toothpick the right tool?
What about a Q-tip?

This has turned out to be more trouble than the glasses are worth. I
should just toss them and buy a new pair, but now I'm reluctant to let
the glasses win this battle of wills. :-)

I just use clear finger nail polish. If needed it can still be undone if
lense needs replacement. WW