Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Cleaning up the shop

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:44:27 -0600, Ignoramus29432

On 2010-01-25, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus29432 wrote:

So what do you think the monthly premiums for a) Single, b) family will be? I've really
wanted a number but never seem to hear those magic details from the politicians.

Will this public option cover organ transplants? Pace makers, perscription drugs?
Experimental procedures?

If we as a nation spend 9% of our GDP on health care, then it would be
natural to think that the average cost of health care should be around
9% of the average income. If average income is $40,000, I figure the
cost is now $360 per person per month. This is what it is now. Most
employed people's health care is covered by employers now. If you have
access to better numbers, you can arrive at a better estimate and
tweak this result a little bit.

But you don't. If you include the employer's bit and the government's bit. you
are paying in the order of 15% of your GDP on health care. This compares with
about 7.5% in the UK for a broadly similar outcome and 10-11% in France and
Germany for a slightly better outcome.

An awful lot of your money seems to be going to things that are nothing to do
with medicine and care.

Mark Rand
RTFM