CW

Default Silly Question about Jigs - --

You have the correct definition. BTW, most machinists don't know the
difference either.

"Swingman" wrote in message
My bet is that in the machine shop, and in the machinist' world, the
difference is probably more pronounced/important/politically correct than

it
is in woodworking.

There is, at least semantically, a difference. To paraphrase, precisely,

one
of my old books: "A jig is a device used to maintain mechanically the
correct positional relationship between a piece of work and the tool or
between parts of work during assembly, and a fixture is a device for
supporting work during machining."

Then again, I/it could be all wet.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"MHaseltine" wrote in message
Last Saturday I was at an auction and was looking at the tools which

happened
to be inside . Another person was also broswing. The owner had made a

number
of wodden jigs for his table saw ranging from a miter sled to a

tennoning
jig.
Just to make conversation with the other person, I stated that the owner

and
been rather prolific and had a lot of jigs to go with the saw. The

person
gave
me that knowing look and said "their fixtures - you need to be careful

and
not
call fixtures jigs" Well, my response was I'm a bit of a newbie at his

(which
is true) but everything I have read and heard refers to these things as

jigs -
fixtures is a new way of naming these things"

Well, my silly question is, "Are these jigs or fixtures?"

Michael