Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer[_2_] The Wanderer[_2_] is offline

Default OT Transport Cafes.......

.... or the demise thereof.

So my recent enquiry about the Black Cat Cafe in Devon got me thinking
about the many transport cafes that have disappeared over the last couple
of decades.

I spent many years working around Berkshire/North Hampshire/Wiltshire and
can think of quite a few that have long since disappeared.

Foremost has to be Gill's cafe, Monxton R/A in Andover. Truckers would go
quite a way off their journeys to stop here.

Another with a good reputation was the Golden Arrow on the A4 between
Hungerford and Marlboro, used to see the Rollers parked up there at the
weekends for breakfast. Last I saw of this place was an American themed
eaterie. Further west beyond Marlboro was the Ridgeway Cafe.

There was St George's Cafe at Ogbourne St George, a couple of Greasy Spoons
in Ludgershall, another couple in Tidworth itself, and one amongst the
trees at Everleigh on the A342.

One other comes to mind, at Beedon north of Newbury, although the name
escapes me.

I guess all the bypasses and motorways of the last 30 odd years put paid to
so many of these.

--
The Wanderer

A consultant will borrow your watch