Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bulb blew and "wrecked" the fuse holders!

In article ,
Dave Osborne writes:
On 25/01/2010 17:39, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
writes:
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:53:17 +0000, Allthumbs
wrote:

do they replace (inc base) without needing to disconnect all the
output/input cables?

just been down the DIY shed and I see they plug in simply, great! Will
get a set of the tripper type replacements from somewhere that
actually has some stock (not my local B&Q)

The MCB's which plug in to Wylex style CU's also have rather low
breaking capacity - IIRC, something like 3kA for the toggle ones,
and 1kA for the push button ones. Given you've already had a BS3036
rewirable fuse destroyed due to having too low breaking capacity
for your supply, I would stick with BS1361 cartridge fuses.

What's the breaking capacity of small BS1361 fuses?

Goes away to check for himself...

Ah, 16.5kA. Good enough.

Most modern MCBs (not Wylex ones) for domestic CU's are 6kA
which is probably going to be fine. You can also get 10kA MCBs,
although more likely to be used in industrial CUs and dist boards.
(These are marked M6 or M10 respectively.)

Of course you have the main fuse which is likely to be BS1361
or BS88, and some manufacturers of 6kA MCBs say they can
be treated as 10kA when backed by a BS1361 or BS88 main fuse.

--
Andrew Gabriel