Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Heatmor outdoor boiler

On 1/25/2010 13:46, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I'm trying to determine the pros and cons of having a wood boiler
installed on my property. If you haven't heard of these, the boiler
is built to circulate water around the firebox.

Here in CT they are trying to outlaw them. Many com plaints about
pollution, smells and smoke drifting over to the neighbors, etc. Much more
than a regular woodstove. Check your local code for any restrictions before
you buy.

I am in PA. The state is not involved as far as I know but at least in
my area most/all of the local governments have banned them.
Unfortunately there are some really cheesy versions that are just a huge
firebox made out of steel plate with a coil wrapped around it and a
motorized damper. When the house isn't calling for heat the damper
closes and since the wood is in direct contact with the steel it really
cools off. When the house calls for heat the damper opens and it takes a
really long time to get back up to temperature and the unit belches tons
of acrid smoke. There are two of them about a mile from here and on a
typical calm winter morning it is like driving through fog when you
drive on that road.