Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Frost your nuts?

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:05:26 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:45:20 -0500, the infamous Upscale
scrawled the following:

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 17:20:55 -0600, Dave Balderstone
But there are BILLIONS of dollars being made as a result of the AGW
movement, and the path leads back to the UN.

I can't argue with that. That's the way it's always going to be. But,
just like the current movement to go to alternative energy vehicles,
while many are making money on it, there's others who are pursuing the
technology for improvement purposes. Eventually more will follow.

Can you prove that statement, Uppy? (Ah dinna thin so.)

What I'm amazed at is that more of the hybrids aren't being built. The
combo is dynamite!

They're still too spendy for me. Too much cost, too little benefit. If

A brand new Prius 10 goes for as little as $22.8k out the door.

I could recover the extra cost in 5 years with savings in running cost,
I'd be interested. But as long as the pitch is "will nobody think of
the children!" I ain't biting.

That pitch don't hunt.

With a roughly $10k pop in the price tag, how long would an extra
20mpg take for a ROI?

Hmm, Highlander jumps from 20 up to 27mpg, or a mere 7mpg boost, it
would take a long time at a $9,500 bump.

Camry jumps from 22 to 33mpg and is a $5,800 bump, quicker ROI, 6.6
years, figuring 20k/yr and $2.89/gal gas. 606 vs 909 gallons,
$875.67/yr. Not bad, plus you get the benefit of screaming
acceleration when you want to play, a quieter car when your foot is
off the pedal, and a better resale value. Works for me...if I was a
commuter and didn't need a full sized truck. g

---
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
talking about global warming hysteria, January, 2007.