Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Fibre washer rant

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 01:18:06 +0000, John Rumm
wibbled:

John wrote:
"Usenet Nutter" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:24:54 +0000, Dave Osborne
wrote:

Er, I think you'll find that in a tap connector, the fibre washer
stops water leaking down the thread.
Or UP the thread :-)

I suspect that some people use PTFE tape on threads - when the thread
is not designed to do any sealing. In applications like tap connectors
the washer

Sometimes it is handy for lubrication if nothing else - can make
tightening easier and less squeaky.

I gave up on PTFE when I discovered Rocol... Marvellous stuff. But for
parallel threads, I've had less issues with fibre washers than some
damnable taper threads, especially when one of them is plastic.

--
Tim Watts