Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Show Me Your TS Cross Cut Sled

On 1/25/10 6:31 AM, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 21 Jan, 18:03, wrote:

Never use the things (a sled, use a box) - too dangerous.

Semantics.

That's how we communicate subtle differences. Like the difference
between a whole finger, and a hole in your finger.

We don't communicate subtle difference by completely renaming a car an
automobile, and pretending the car is "too dangerous" because it doesn't
have anti-lock brakes like your "automobile."

You built a sled with a lid.

Strictly, "a sled with walls", but yes. However those walls are
important, but not always used. They're worth incorporating.

All the "sleds" I've seen have the front and back cross sections.
The "lid" I refer to is from where you wrote...
"as there's a tie-bar between them above the saw blade, which
also acts as a further guard. "

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)