Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Frost your nuts?

In article , Chris Friesen wrote:
On 01/25/2010 09:21 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

I don't mess around with recycling a few pounds
of cans or bottles (which we use very little of anyway) -- I recycle tons at

time: when I need a car, I buy used, never new.

That makes no sense. Consider the following scenarios:

You haven't thought it all the way through. :-)

a) I buy a new car and drive it till it's dead.

b) I buy a new car, drive it for a while, then buy another new car and
sell my old one (to someone who drives it till it's dead).

c) I buy a used car and drive it till it's dead, then buy another used
car and drive it till it's dead.

In all cases the cars end up at the scrapyard to be recycled anyways.
Whether you buy new or used really makes little difference in the end
unless so many people are buying new that usable cars end up being
scrapped unnecessarily.

And that, my friend, is exactly what happens: usable cars end up being
scrapped unnecessarily.

It is almost always less expensive, and uses less resources, to maintain and
repair equipment rather than replacing it.

It also may not save any money to buy used. I wanted a Honda or Toyota
hatchback. Around here used ones were going for a significant fraction
of the new price--ten year old cars going for half of new. Since I was
planning on driving it into the ground, I figured I may as well buy
new--that way I know the history of the car.

Do the math. Buying a new car is *never* financially sound. Buy used, and let
someone else eat the depreciation.

On the other hand, if you're planning on turning over vehicles every few
years then it definitely makes financial sense to buy used.

It makes financial sense to buy used _in all cases_. Do the math. You pay a
*very* high premium for the privilege of driving a new car. Here's an example.
In 1991, I bought a 1984 Buick LeSabre, with 57K miles on it, for $4250.
Original sticker price was $14,900-something -- $10K+ depreciation in seven
years. I sold the car ten years later for $900, still running just fine, with
211K miles on it. Purchase cost amortized over the time I owned it: less than
fifty bucks a month.