Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29432 Ignoramus29432 is offline

Default Cleaning up the shop

On 2010-01-24, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus12856 wrote:

Sadly, most people have forgot that you save for eventualities and not depend on someone
else to get you through.

Wes, I agree that saving money is essential for anyone, and people who
do not save, fully deserve a fair amount of trouble. I do personally
save a fair amount of my income.

So, a hypothetical guy who loses a job and does not even have money to
pay very reasonable COBRA rates, does not get too much of my sympathy,
personally.

Nor I. I paid for my health insurace for the 8 months I was between jobs.

Very good.

Now what happens if someone has cancer, loses a job, pays for COBRA
for 18 months, and then his COBRA coverage ends? I do not think that
we can expect people to save enough to cover their cancer treatments
(which amount to big bucks).

I think that when such people, who worked, saved, and did their duty
otherwise, cannot afford to treat their cancer, and cannot get medical
coverage, it is an atrocity.

I honestly don't know what to tell you. Some sort of pooled risk
across the insured for coverage for these events might be a
solution.

That's what the health reform attempted to accomplish.

Michigan has unlimited caps on medical when it comes to auto
insurance. Every insured motorist pays for it and if you are the
unlucky person to get seriously injured, we ( meaning Michigan
drivers) all pay for that injury.

Very good. The risk is taken by the party that is able to pay
(insurance co). The drivers pay a bit extra for the peace of mind.