Posted to rec.woodworking
Garagewoodworks Garagewoodworks is offline

Default Thin Molding Safely

On Jan 25, 8:40*am, "Leon" wrote:
"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message

The Latest in the GarageWoodworks Video Podcast Series:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

--
Brian
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.php

Cool video and I that is how I have made thin moldings for years.

However.... ;~)

If you send both sides of the wood through the router you can make 1/2 the
trips back and forth between the RT and the TS. *There is typically no
reason to not cut from both sides of the stock. *With smaller moldings you
can work all 4 corners at the RT before ripping at the TS.

Second, I do not recommend using a feather board for indexing the width of
the cut. *Because feather boards are designed to "give" you could have
inconsistent cuts with more delicate moldings.

Agreed, however the one I was using is very stiff (hard plastic). If
you don't push it into the featherboard hard and just let it
'contact', it works fine.

You will notice that I didn't end up doing it that way, just offered
it up as an alternative.

*You would be better served
with a fixed and non flexible indexing fixture.

Your video and execution was great. *I cannot suggest anything to do
differently concerning your sound or lighting.

However.....:~)

When watching you at the TS with *your garage door in the back ground, Scott
"whatshisname" from American Woodshop came to mind. *Clutter in the back
ground.

Small shop.

*Yes I know you are just getting into this and I think you did a
superb job but I think you could possibly take this much farther.
Presentation was great. *Make the whole picture appealing to all and you
will appear to be more credible IMHO.

Scott for example spent several episodes a few years back building his new
American Woodshop. *Today the place looks like a pigsty. *Total
disorganization!