Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default bulb blew and "wrecked" the fuse holders!

"Allthumbs" wrote in message
SWMBO switched on the light and "bang, it was like an explosion" she
said. "oh yeah" I said.
Went downstairs and said "blimey etc" the G9 halogen bulb had
disappeared except for its base, there was a layer of powdered glass
on everything and when I looked at the fuse box the fuse and the
adjacent fuse were half pushed out of their holders. The *adjacent*
fuse holder base was obviously cracked.
Questions:-
IIRC Can I buy new fuse holder bases (this is old style wire fuses)
rather than a whole consumer unit?
Is this type of rather drastic blown fuse and scattered glass a
feature of the halogen bulbs? (I don't fancy it again, might change
kitchen light to something else).

(will not tackle till tomorrow as up all night watching tennis, like
to be fresh for electrics!)
--
Mike

Can you let the group know the manufacturers name (of the fusebox)