Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Fibre washer rant

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 21:46:28 +0000, Rod wrote:

On 24/01/2010 21:35, dg wrote:
On 24 Jan, 21:20, wrote:
On Jan 24, 8:44 pm, "Roger wrote:

The Medway wrote:

What is it with plumbers& fibre washers in tap connectors?

Its actually rare to find one. Usual practice seems to be to wrap
loads of PTFE tape around the bottom of the connector& hope for the
best.
Helping my daughters bloke remove entire bathroom today prior to
refurb, not one single tap connector had a washer, all bodged with
PTFE.
Bearing in mind a bag of 100 is only £3 why don't people use them?

I've had quite a few that have gone soggy and/or crumbled over a period of
time - and then they leak!

One connector had failed due to the fibre washer. I made a few
attempts with a couple of new fibre washers, and got nowhere.
Substituted a rubber one and perfectly watertight first time.

NT

I've often wondered what is the difference/correct usage of fibre,
rubber, nylon washers

dg

... and hemp. Lovely to just carry a small hank and be able to make
washers of any size required.

And lasts for decades in glands and is adjustable, unlike those damned
O-rings.

Remember - there is soluble fibre and insoluble fibre. And you need both
to keep you healthy. But only one makes a good washer. :-)

Don't use porridge!
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.