Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Heatmor outdoor boiler

On Jan 24, 4:56*pm, FBWNDR wrote:
On Jan 24, 1:56 pm, ransley wrote:

On Jan 24, 11:46 am, FBWNDR wrote:

I'm trying to determine the pros and cons of having a wood boiler
installed on my property. *If you haven't heard of these, the boiler
is built to circulate water around the firebox. *The water gets pumped
into a heat exchanger which is located in the main heating duct of the
house. *The existing indoor furnace pushes the air around the house..

Anyway, I'm looking at a Heatmor boiler, and I'm now looking for
people who have experience with these. *The website says that the
boiler has a forced draft fan (75 cfm). *It also says that the boiler
can heat a 3000 square foot house. *I know a little about combustion,
and I calculated that with 75 cfm, you cannot burn more than 10 lbs of
wood an hour. *And if the wood is 45% moisture, then the available BTU
is around 40,000 BTU. *A 40,000 BTU furnace is very small for a 3000
square foot house.

So, has anybody dealt with these Heatmor furnces? *Can you tell me
anything about performance and maintenance?

thanks,
FB

If boiler is outside full of water , you must put antifreeze in the
water, antifreeze doesnt transfer heat as well as water, is that
included in their btu output calculation. Do you have to feed it every
hour that would become a hard full time job

The anti-freeze heat transfer difference is pretty small, as least
compared to some other assumptions, so I didn't include it. *But what
I have heard is that most people don't put anti-freeze into the tank.
I don't understand this at all. *The system holds 85 gallons, which
would require 42.5 gallons of anti-freeze. *This is not a small cost,
but it is a very large risk to run the system without antifreeze. *The
furnace area is large enough that it can hold 12 hours worth of wood
at a time.- Hide quoted text -

If pipe is outside it will freeze fast if its cold enough out, it
could be buried and insulated. 50% mix is -37f you dont need -37
unless it gets to -37. The reduction in efficency is actualy large ,
maybe 5% im guessing. Antifreeze conducts heat poorly compared to
water, I just got a used car that some idiot had 100% antifreeze in
it, I only checked its % because I got almost no heat inside, im down
to 40% antifreeze now and air temp out of the cars vents is maybe 40
degrees hotter now, so antifreeze looses you efficency but I would
think even 5-10% would help get you well below 32F, You cant expect it
to be fired all the time , what if you are sick or want to take a
vacation, you dont want to loose a expensive boiler from freezing, it
has to be winterized to your local temp