Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Hall[_4_] Jim Hall[_4_] is offline

Default Hand Sharpening

Sharpening lathe tools is a bit of journey.. But a fun one.. I prefer
videos to books.. Picture worth a thousand words.. Unless your set on
learning from a book, you might check out some of the videos available
for free on youtube.. I've rented several how-to videos on the subject
from Smartflix.com too.. Just easier to understand.. I think.. You'll
find there are many ways and many preferences for sharpening lathe
tools. You'll have to find the ones you like and work best for you as
your skills develop.. I have water stones but save those primarily for
chisels and plane irons. I prefer a harder more durable stone like DMT
dia-sharp diamond stones for touching up lathe tools and a grinding
wheel for shaping.. Good luck.. Lathes are a bit intimidating at first
but with a little experience they become really fun..!!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...sharpening+lat

On 1/24/2010 8:17 PM, rich wrote:
I'm looking for a book on hand sharpening. I use water stones on my
chisels ( with a guide ) but just got a lathe, and will be faced with
sharpening gouges, slew chisels, and whatnot. Guess it's time to
learn to sharpen without a guide.

Anyway, hoping for suggestion of a good book available from/thru
Amazon. Also, one on basic lathe operation is probably a good idea as
well.

Thanks for your input.....