Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Machining a ball

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:36:42 -0800 (PST), mac
wrote:

My Garmin NUVI 500 for my bicycle uses a ball mount. The one that I
purchase from a third party is hollowed plastic and broke from
vibration. I adapted the broken piece to my light bar and it broke
again at the ball.
I toyed with several methods. One buy a ball turning tool, two find a
ball and mount it to a post. The ball was .670 inches and I didn't
find any one that size.
I decided to make a form tool for a section and move around the ball
shape. The critical section is smooth as the female move up to the
major diameter and that the major diameter size is maintained. The
down side also needs to be smooth for a short distance.
I Machined a rectangle piece of aluminum leaving the head 3/4 inches,
in three direction. The post section is 3/4 X 1/2 inches. Pictures are
here. http://www.billcotton.com/nuvi500.htm

Neat Bill, and good to hear from you. It's been a while.